Sorry to bring you back to back blog updates, but Elise's hilarity strikes again. Here is a transcript of our conversation this morning:
Elise: "How do you stop a person from talking inside your head?"
Me: "What do you mean?"
Elise: "Someone is talking in my head and they have been ever since last week. I can't get them to shut up and it's really bothering me."
Me: "What are they telling you to do?"
Elise: "Bad things"
At this point I'm beginning to get nervous about where this is headed. I hate to admit it, but I actually thought "is this an early sign of mental illness?" I know that seems way out of proportion to this simple conversation, but Elise was really animated and agitated about it and the phrase "bad things" had me nervous.
So I casually ask: "What kind of bad things is this person telling you to do?"
Elise: "The person is telling me to do chores."
Me: (Cracking up and relieved at this point) "Well, maybe the voice is just me telling you to do chores."
Elise: "No, the voice comes from somebody who looks just like me, even with the same red, curly hair."
A minute later I notice that she is putting on flip flops even though it is a P.E. day and she needs tennis shoes.
Me: "Elise, isn't today a P.E. day and you should wear your tennis shoes?"
Elise: "That's exactly what the voice in my head told me to do, but really I just want to wear flip flops and skip P.E. today. I wish I could get that voice to shut up."
Me: "I think I like this voice."
My brother Eric recently said that we are missing out on a great reality TV show by not having cameras follow Elise around all of the time. Too true!
No comments:
Post a Comment