Sunday, January 30, 2011

Tender Moments with a 12 Year Old

At church today one of our friends' 12 year old sons was trying to talk to Isaiah. Isaiah said "Hi" and "Bye" and strung together an impressively long string of words that only Isaiah could understand. Whatever he was saying, he really meant it. Isaiah was walking around in his walker and Caleb asked, "Did something happen to his legs that makes him need the walker?" Caleb's tone was kind and interested, not the all too normal demanding tone of questions that we get from other children who want to know, "What's wrong with that kid?" I told Caleb that Isaiah's brain got hurt when he was born and that now it sends confusing messages to his legs making it difficult for him to walk without the walker. Caleb asked kindly if Isaiah would always need the walker. I said that we don't really know and that he will have some surgeries in the future that may help him to walk without a walker.

Then this sweet 12 year old boy put his hand on top of Isaiah's head, looked him in the eyes and said, "Isaiah, I hope you always stay this cute. I hope that surgery works and you can walk. And whatever happens, I hope the Lord is with you in all of it." I kid you not, this came from a 12 year old boy!!! It was the perfect set up for a sermon I was about to hear on accepting and embracing God's will even if His will scares us. I haven't been accepting God's will in Isaiah's life very well lately. Yesterday, I had another very frustrating moment as I tried to get out the door with Isaiah and all of the things needed to go anywhere with him. I screamed out in my head, "Lord, can he just walk already? That would make things so much easier." In all honesty as trivial as this sounds, I have been frustrated with God's will for our weather this winter too! I'm thanking God today for sending a 12 year old boy and a pastor visiting from Togo, Africa for opening my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment