Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Micah as CEO





















Micah's fifth grade class is attending JA Biztown today. JA Biztown is a field trip experience put on by Junior Achievement in which the kids get to run a town and a business for the day. They have been working on curriculum provided by JA for the past several weeks in preparation. They even learned about payroll taxes and Micah asked me lots of questions about just where that money goes anyway. It is a great program and Micah has been looking forward to the field trip all year.

The kids had to make a list of 3 different jobs that they might be interested in and interview for the jobs. Micah's choices in his order of preference were:
1. CFO - so that he could "play with numbers" all day. Eric, did you know that is what you do?
2. Sales Associate
3. CEO.

His interview went "too well" in his opinion and he ended up as the CEO. He has been half way complaining all week about how he would rather do a different job because the CEO has too much work to do.

This morning 30 minutes before he needed to get on the bus he let me know that as the CEO he had to get dressed up. Micah has always liked wearing "soft clothes." He turns his socks inside out so that they don't rub his feet wrong. He grabs his shorts and t-shirts as soon as it hits 50 degrees outside. Our Sunday mornings are a wrestle just to get him to wear a cleaner shirt to church. So, getting dressed up was met with resistance at first. He said he wished he could work in the warehouse so that he didn't have to get dressed up. Aren't we teaching him such a great work ethic around here?

I started working the parental spin machine and kept talking about how fun it is to get dressed up as a character and won't it be great to see his friends dressed up. I told him I was excited to take pictures to share with the family. He eventually bought into the idea full force and we had some fun throwing together a combination of his clothes and his dad's clothes. Unfortunately, Tony was already at work so we were googling "how to tie a tie" about 3 minutes before the bus arrived. Don't look too closely at the tie in the picture. Hopefully a male teacher or chaperone will hook him up this morning. One of the items he is wearing is a vest and when I pulled it out of Tony's closet Micah said "Won't that look kind of funny if all I wear is the vest and tie?" Yes, Micah it would.

I'm wondering if the peanut butter and jelly sandwich and juice box I sent with his lunch is going to take away any of his credibility as a CEO.

2 comments:

  1. Micah is so cute, all dressed up. Should be a great field trip. Of course, Micah should be the CEO!
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the fact that he wants to work in the warehouse so he can wear comfy clothes. That reminds me of Darrell from The Office. I think Micah has his priorities straight!
    Love,
    Aunt Katie

    ReplyDelete