As Isaiah gets bigger, but is still unable to walk without assistance, we have begun to use a medical stroller more. Isaiah does well walking with a walker for pretty long distances now, but he doesn't maneuver well among crowds. Basically, he plows through all obstacles running over unsuspecting toes in his wake. The weight and size of the medical stroller has led us to begin to see how much of the world is still not very accomodating for those with a handicap.
I discovered this morning that Grant's Farm is a HUGE exception to that norm. I took the 3 kids there not knowing what kind of a day we would have. It turned out to be a fabulously fun day. I had told the kids a few times too many that I wasn't sure how Isaiah would do with different things. Not even realizing I had just said that again Elise says to me, "Mom, you keep saying you aren't sure how Isaiah will do, but he is doing awesome!" Good reminder from my 7 year old to chill out and enjoy the current fun without worrying about how things might go wrong. As a result of Isaiah's status in a medical stroller, we were given a great parking place, a prime spot on the front of the tram without a wait and front row ground level seating for the elephant show. Micah was thinking Isaiah's medical stroller was quite the status symbol today as we were treated with great care by the entire staff. He said to Isaiah, "Thanks for getting us such great seats everywhere."

Our trip reminded me of a fun trip we took with Mom, Dai, Sigourney and Winnie five years ago. I found some pictures and posted a few here. Can't believe how little all of the kids look. That particular trip had some pretty funny quotes that get often repeated around here even five years later. Elise was almost 3 at the time and was not a huge fan of the goat farm area. The goats can be pretty aggressive and many of them were taller than her. She ran to Daisy and yelled "Aunt Daisy, save me. Them, them, them aminals want to eat a baby!" Very dramatic and very funny from that little person. Elise didn't do much better with the goats today. They pretty much attacked her going after her skirt and jumping all over her. She said on the way home that she's just not that great with goats and she wondered if they were attracted to her red hair.

It was a VERY hot day and while the adults waited in line for our complimentary beverages, Micah was begging for a drink. We told him that this line was for beer and that we couldn't get him any. He proceeded to shout "Beer, I love beer. I could drink beer all day!" He was thinking of root beer, but it made for a funny moment in which I felt the need to inform everyone around me that I didn't really give my six year old beer. It really doesn't seem like this trip was five years ago and I truly can't believe that my niece is driving now!!!
I had forgotten about the 'beer' comment by Micah. He had his really loud voice going, didn't he? That day at Grant's Farm was really fun. A great memory, as is your most recent trip. Prejudice notwithstanding, your children are very funny and oh so cute!
ReplyDelete